Population of Ashbourne down through the years

In the last edition we gave the census figures for the area in the census of 1659. We move on some 200 years to the census figures for the 1800’s. In the census of 1821 the population of the parish of Killegland was 133. In 1820 signed the lease for the land on which the village of Ashbourne would grow and by 1831 the population of Killegland/ Ashbourne was 473 (252 males and 221 females). Figures for 1841 and 1851 show a decline to 411 and 288. These years were the time when rail travel was beginning to take business from the roads and also the years of the famine.

Ashboume today is a bustling busy town with a population of over 12,000

The census of 1659 makes interesting reading and provides an insight into how Ashbourne has grown and changed over the centuries to become what it is now.

Under the Barony of Ratoath are listed the parishes of Donaghmore and Killeglan and their townlands.

Parish

 Townelands

No.People

Tituladoes Names

Eng / Irish

Donaghmore

Great Flins towne

016

002

014

Muckers towne

020

020

Little Flins towne

027

027

Wotton

022

Thomas Dillon ,gent

022

Arches towne

017

Myles Symner Esq.

003

014

Milltown

027

Richard Aynger

004

023

Dunreagh

004

Edward Bellew gent

002

002

Donaghmore

031

031

Roberts towne

023

John Cleark gent

002

021

Great Buls towne

003

003

Grenock

Rath of Grenock

015

Henry Sorson gent

015

Grenock towne

080

Thomas Jones and

William Webb gents

009

071

Killeglan

Killeglan towne

037

002

035

Narrative Copyright © Ashbourne Historical Society

Share Button

Comments are closed.